Mark Ronson

If you look closely at his discography—both the songs he’s released under his own name with guest vocalists and his production work for other artists—a sense of despair has been an undercurrent all along, and a year or so since his divorce from model Joséphine de la Baume, he’s been writing work for a new album with moody singers Lykke Li and The XX’s Romy Madley Croft.

“It’s a breakup album,” he says from LA, where he has lived now for about a year. Ronson helped produce Back to Black, the tragic and final Amy Winehouse album, but he says working with a star like Amy means the focus is on her. “I'm there to make sure the arrangements are good and the vocals sound wonderful, but it's her suffering that’s gone into those songs,” he says. Now, on new solo work, he has nowhere to hide. “Every time I went to the studio, I’d throw out ideas, and some were lighthearted things, but the ones staying with me all had melancholy. You really have to go through something kind of fucked up to make good art sometimes, which obviously sounds like the most obvious thing in the world, but it's not necessarily always how I've operated.”

https://www.lofficielusa.com/men/mark-ronson-cover-september-2018

Mark Ronson feat. Lucky Daye - Too Much (Audio)

Back
Top Bottom