Jessie Ware

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

01. Running
02. No To Love
03. Champagne Kisses
04. If You're Never Gonna Move
05. Alone
06. Something Inside
07. Last of the True Believers
08. Midnight
09. Say You Love Me
10. Wildest Moments

In this episode of Tape Notes, John takes a trip to Deptfrod to visit Jessie Ware and Dave Okumu in Dave’s newly built studio to talk about how they recorded and produced the album Devotion.

Jessie and Dave look back to the beginnings of their creative relationship and discuss the excitement and trepidation of working together for the first time. We hear demo versions made by Dave ahead their sessions and also dig deep into some of the arrangements and the production philosophy behind the making of Jessie’s debut album.

Die hochbegabte Fabiana Palladino (Jessies Backgroundsängerin, Multiinstrumentalistin und Tochter des großartigen Pino Palladino), die übrigens auch auf dem Konzert in Brüssel zur Bandbesetzung gehörte, versucht sich nun auf 80er-Pop-Solopfaden. Die stimmliche Ähnlichkeit zu Solange ist verblüffend und der musikalische Einfluss Kate Bushs unverkennbar. Produziert wurde der Song von Jai Paul und Fabiana selbst. Die Keys, Drums und sonstigen Perkussionsinstrumente wurden ebenfalls von ihr eingespielt. Sehr gut!

Hier ein sehr sehenswertes Video zum Thema Gated-Reverb-Sound:

FABIANA PALLADINO

Around three years ago, Fabiana Palladino got an email from Jai Paul out of nowhere saying that he’d been listening to her demos on Soundcloud. When they linked up at a studio in Kings Cross, Jai explained that he and A.K. were thinking of starting a label. It was, in Palladino’s own words, a very unassuming meeting. “I was totally aware of that ‘mystique’, but that’s just internet stuff,” Palladino says. “He’s a normal person. It’s funny that people think he’s a magical being.”

The two artists bonded over their shared music tastes and creative backgrounds, both having grown up in suburban London playing and writing music. In Palladino’s case, she’d learned music from a young age – her father, Pino Palladino, is a prolific session artist (he previously played bass for The Who). At home, her parents would listen to soul musicians like Stevie Wonder and Donny Hathaway, and she later went on to study music at Goldsmiths, where she made a discovery that would lead her to the sort of music she makes today.

“A friend at uni had Hounds of Love on CD and put it on,” she explains. “That led me into a different side of music – British pop/rock, people like David Bowie, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel.” Like those artists, Palladino’s sound is incredibly distinctive, matching meticulously crafted melodic pop songwriting with bold and inventive production choices. “I think a lot of the music I like has that sound of one person,” she says. “They play and write and sing.”

After finishing university, Palladino worked as a session and touring musician, playing with the likes of Sampha (an old acquaintance from back in the Myspace days; he also also co-produced Palladino’s stellar early song “For You”), SBTRKT, and Jessie Ware, who she’s been touring with for the past year. Still, the desire to write her own music never went away while she was on the road. “Writing always feels like a release for me emotionally,” she says. “Whenever I write, these ideas and words come out of nowhere, and I’ll look back at it and think, ‘Shit, that was something that I was feeling that I didn’t realise.’”

Palladino has released two singles with the Paul Institute, last year’s “Mystery” (written and produced with Jai Paul) and her new single “Shimmer”. While “Shimmer” features additional instrumentation and production from Jai, the track itself was self-produced by Palladino. Musically, it was inspired by Sheila E, Chaka Khan, and Donna Summer’s “State of Independence”; lyrically, it sees Palladino respond to her frustration with people who were underestimating her own as a producer. “I wanted to write about power and standing up for yourself, to egg myself on a little,” she says. “I was struggling. ‘Do I need to get a producer, or does it just need a mix?’ I felt it maybe had something to do with being a girl.”

Jessie hat in einem Interview mit Ken Bruce von BBC Radio 2, welches im Laufe des Tages online geht, verraten, dass sie die Arbeiten an ihrem vierten Album – nennen wir es einfach mal JW4 – vorzeitig aufgenommen hat. Das neue Material wurde unter anderem von Whitney Houstons "How Will I Know" inspiriert und soll deutlich grooviger und tanzbarer ausfallen als das ihrem Kind und Ehemann gewidmete und daher eine Art Sonderstellung in ihrer Diskografie einnehmende Glasshouse.

:emoji_man_dancing::emoji_dancer:

I may very well have some music coming out soon, but I’m working on my new record. I’m really excited by it, it’s really, really fun and it’s going really well! Watch this space! It’s very New York 80’s disco boogie theme – it’s really good!

Hello, it’s been a while!

I wanted to let you know that I have a new song out, it’s called ‘Overtime’ and it’s a bit of a taste of what’s to come.

I’ve been in the studio with the brilliant James Ford who I have worked with for years, but for this tune we got Bicep involved too. I loved their record last year and they are such amazing producers. So it’s been a pleasure to team up with them and James.

I know I’ve been rather silent lately but after a hefty year of touring I had to just knuckle down with normal family life and going into the studio.

Although a new album isn’t coming straight away, I’m working on it and I’m really excited. This is something to tide you over, for now!

Lots of changes have happened this year including moving to Virgin EMI Records to release music which I’m really so pleased about.

Whilst I work on the record, I will still be serving up more Table Manners series (much to mum’s dismay). In fact we are up for two ARIAs for ‘Best Presenter’ and ‘Best New Podcast’ which is a huge compliment considering I started doing the podcast totally for fun and still don’t know what I’m doing.

Speak soon, and thanks again for all the support, means a lot.

Love Jessie x

What’s next for you?

I’m not sure about an album. I think there’s a EP in the works. I’ve got loads of songs, but I’m working on picking the right ones. The newer songs are more guitar-based. I want the new stuff to have a bit more edge to it. Fewer synths. A bit more organic. But without losing the fantasy sound.

Throwback ins Jahr 2013, als ich Jessie – wenn auch etwas verspätet, da "Running" zu diesem Zeitpunkt bereits ein Jahr alt war – auf der Suche nach Slayd5000s "What You Won't Do for Love"-Upload auf Youtube entdeckte und ihrer Stimme verfiel. :emoji_blush:

Die hochbegabte Fabiana Palladino (Jessies Backgroundsängerin, Multiinstrumentalistin und Tochter des großartigen Pino Palladino), die übrigens auch auf dem Konzert in Brüssel zur Bandbesetzung gehörte, versucht sich nun auf 80er-Pop-Solopfaden. Die stimmliche Ähnlichkeit zu Solange ist verblüffend und der musikalische Einfluss Kate Bushs unverkennbar. Produziert wurde der Song von Jai Paul und Fabiana selbst. Die Keys, Drums und sonstigen Perkussionsinstrumente wurden ebenfalls von ihr eingespielt. Sehr gut!

#MediaMogulJessie :emoji_clap:

Last month, you put out a song, “Overtime,” that marked a change in direction for you. It’s a vogue-worthy ‘90s-style house jam.

Florence [Welch] texted me, “Oh my God, ‘Overtime’ is amazing, it makes me want to go to a gay club and dance.” I’ve had so many lovely compliments about it. I moved labels [in the U.K.], and I knew the baby’s coming, so it felt like a way to give people a taste of what’s to come. But also, if people don’t like it, it really doesn’t matter -- I like it! I have that attitude at the moment. I feel really confident about the new music I’m doing. I don’t feel like I’m trying to impress or please anybody, I’m just making the music I feel like making. There’s something empowering about that.

“Overtime” must be the rare gay-club anthem built around a sports metaphor.

My God, I didn't even think about that! I’m just trying to write as much as filth as possible. Suggestive, innuendo, sex -- it’s just really fun. Because apart from this [Ware points at her baby bump] I have none of it. This whole new record is about fantasy and escapism. It’s for the fans who have been there for a start. It was funny seeing the comments from fans like, “At last! You’ve given us a groove, Jessie!” It’s a record people can dance to or have sex to, I hope.

What inspired the change?

I’m proud of everything I’ve done, but I needed some energy. I can sing ballads till the cows come home, but I also can do dance music, and it’s where I came from, so I just wanted to dip my toe back in that. I’ve been writing my record with Shun -- she’s fucking amazing, she’s one to watch -- and Danny Parker. They’ve been the most important figures in this record. I’ve got a kid that I need to pop out, and then I need to be a mum, so I’m trying to get the record as finished as possible before I have the baby. But this time next year you’ll be listening to new music.

Zurück
Oben Unten