Common

Common Readies Finding Forever

With Common’s seventh studio album on its way, the Chicago lyricist played VIBE several tracks that will reside on Finding Forever.

A title he explains as a reference to the idea of long-time friend Jay Dee (J. Dilla) living on forever in the music.

"And now with the death of J Dilla and other things, you start thinking about forever lasting for real through music," Com told MTV. "Jay Dee will last forever through his music and hopefully generations down the line will know about Common through his music. And it's also saying: I been doing this for a nice period of time, so I'm trying to find the place where I can keep existing in the game and make music I love,” he continues.

A small list of what’s to come (shouts to VIBE magazine for the insight):

Drivin Me Wild (featuring Lily Allen; prod. by Kanye West)
So Far to Go (featuring D'Angelo; prod, by Jay Dilla)
Start the Show (prod. by Kanye West)
Break My Heart (prod. by Kanye West)
The People (featuring D’Angelo; prod. by Kanye West)
Misunderstood (Nina Simone sample; prod. by Devo Springsteen)
Black Maybe (featuring Bilal; prod. by Kanye West)
I Want You (prod. by will.i.am)
Southside (featuring Kanye West; prod. by Kanye West)

Common’s Finding Forever in stores July 10th.

Quelle : www.hiphopdx.com

"Be"- vom Intro bis zum Ende gute Musik.

Common ist ohne mit der Wimper zu zucken einer der größten Rapper. Er hat eine ganz besondere Art und weise, die dinge rüber zu bringen. Hör ihn verdammt gerne.

Common is meiner all time favourites, finde man kann jedes album von ihm gut hören, außer "electric circus" weil mir das einfach zu abgedreht war..

hoffe aufm neuem album arbeitet er wieder mit primo zusammen und es kommt wieder son bombending wie "the sixth sense" raus

Finde es extrem genial das wieder vor allem Kanye (und Jay Dee) produziert haben!!!
Seit Be gabs kein so gutes Album mehr :eek:

Me & Myself schrieb:
Finde es extrem genial das wieder vor allem Kanye (und Jay Dee) produziert haben!!!
Seit Be gabs kein so gutes Album mehr :eek:

häh, j dilla hat mit produziert?! :eek: haben die wieder en paar alte instrumentals ausgegraben?? redest du überhaupt vom demnächst erscheinendem album :confused:

nasirjones88 schrieb:
häh, j dilla hat mit produziert?! :eek: haben die wieder en paar alte instrumentals ausgegraben?? redest du überhaupt vom demnächst erscheinendem album :confused:
Ich rede von Be dort hat er 2 Tracks produziert und ich habe gesagt das ichs hammer find das Dilla auf dem neuen Album wieder (mind. 1 Track wenn man Fab5000 glaubt) produziert hat.
Hat er ein bisschen weiter oben geschrieben, Track heisst So Far To Go.

In irgendnem song sagt er "i make music for black people".
Un jetz startet er diese komische youtube kampagne(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBa55sDTIiA) in der er sätze aus der martin luther king rede samplet...ihr wisst schon i have a dream...
naja und genau in dieser rede sagt martin luther king dass er einen traum davon hat, dass eine kinder irgendwann zusammen mit weissen kindern spielen usw.
common samplet diese rede, macht aber musik für schwarze (also folglich nicht auch für weisse) und schürt damit nur rassenhass-find ich scheisse

Sorry, aber das Thema mit Common nervt langsam, weil irgendwelche Leute was in seine Texte hineininterpretieren müssen. Er macht Musik für schwarze Menschen, ok, aber wo sagt er das er Musik für nur diese Leute bzw. nicht für Weiße macht?

h-town! schrieb:
Sorry, aber das Thema mit Common nervt langsam, weil irgendwelche Leute was in seine Texte hineininterpretieren müssen. Er macht Musik für schwarze Menschen, ok, aber wo sagt er das er Musik für nur diese Leute bzw. nicht für Weiße macht?

ich glaub er is froh wenn auch weiße leute seine musik hören (allein schon aus geldgründen :D )

hier ausm refrain von the 6th sense vom like water for chocolat

this is rap for real, something you feel
and you know yes you know
rap for the black people

wenn er jetzt will dass jeder seine musik hört würde er sagen rap for everybody aber sein rap soll anscheinend nur für schwarze sein.

EDIT: Lest euch einfach mal das Interview hier durch.
http://www.touchmagazine.co.uk/feature/44

Er sagt Beziehungen mit weissen frauen würde er nie haben, aber gebumst hat er schon welche.
Genau DESWEGEN find ich seine martin luther king samples sowas von beschissen und faul=einfach nur geldmache.
Da schimmert so richtig der schwarze Rassismus durch. Common ist anscheinend nicht so schlau wie er immer macht.

Er scheint in der Tat etwas verblendet zu sein. Vielleicht liegt's an den Räucherstäbchen. :)

Track by Track: Common's Finding Forever

"The People"
Set to be Finding Forever's first single, "The People" begins with a chopped interplay between the sampled "Louder!" and "Yeah!" from Mountain's ultimate breakbeat jam "Long Red." Not long ago "Long Red" was sampled by J Dilla for De La Soul's "Verbal Clap" on The Grind Date. West said that during a meeting with Steven Spielberg. the director told him that he made the film AI in the way he imagined Stanley Kubrick would have told the story. West revealed that this inspired him to produce all his tracks on Finding Forever in the same way the recently departed Dilla would have, in tribute to him.

"Black Maybe"

Another Kanye West production, the title of this song was taken from a song by Stevie Wonder and Syretta Wright and is about the problems that come once you've grown out of the circumstances you were born into. Repeat Common collaborator Bilal provided the vocals on the hook, furthering the album's reference point of classic soul.

"I Want You"
A track of electro love soul with sonic nods to Busta Rhymes' "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See" and Audio Two's "Top Billin.'" "I write love songs, point blank and I ain't ashamed of it," said Common. Will.i.am whipped up the beat when he and Common were working on that song from the Gap commercial.

"Southside"
A shorter version of this song was released earlier this year when the Bears were in the Super Bowl. Hardly any attention is paid to hooks or catchiness, it's just bullet-spray lyrics from West and Common, who in the space of a couple lines compares himself to both James Baldwin and Kool G Rap.

"Driving Me Wild"
Featuring Lily Allen and produced by Kanye West. Our notes say something about it being "unhinged." We're not really sure what we meant.

"So Far To Go"
This one was produced by J Dilla and features D'Angelo. You should have heard it already when it was released on Dilla's posthumous album The Shining. You'd be surprised how many people at the listening session seemingly hadn't.

"Break My Heart"
Common had only recorded one verse for this storytelling piece that tracks a relationship from the initial flirtations to its end. "Breaking a girl's heart," said Common," sometimes it happens."

"The Game"
The use of Ahmad Jamal's "Swahililand" (as heard on De La Soul's "Stakes Is High") is an obvious nod to Dilla by West, but "The Game" also incorporates ’90s boom-bap hip-hop. The duo even brought in DJ Premier to scratch a chorus out of lines from OC's "Half Good, Half Sinner" : It's only right that I address this/ You gotta be in it to win it.

"Start The Show"
Slated as the album opener, the beat for "Start The Show" is much more dominating than most Common tracks, though West was sure to add some sparkle as it progresses. "Start The Show" features one of Common's patented putdowns of other rappers: "You was better as a drug dealer."

"Misunderstood"
Produced by Devo Springsteen, West's cousin and collaborator, the song is introduced by a verse and chorus from a live Nina Simone performance of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood." A cast of characters that commonly appear in Common songs find their way into the lyrics: the college girl gone wrong, the smart kid stuck on the corner, etc.

"Forever Begins"
This is going to be the last song on our album and was probably our favorite, from it's military drums to afro-soul instrumental outro. Once it was over Common kept up his tradition and asked everyone in the room what they thought the best two tracks were. The most popular picks were "The People," "The Game," "Southside," and "Forever Begins." Common said his favorites were ""The People" and "Drivin Me Wild." West abstained.

mehr Infos unter http://www.thefader.com/blog/articles/2007/04/26/track-by-track-commons-finding-forever

common will werte vermitteln, aber trotzdem liberal bleiben... dann kommen eben so komische aussagen zu stande...

ich mag common, aber so ein super-mc die einige in ihm sehen ist er fuer mich nicht. ein wenig "overrated"

no hate

er hat immer sehr gute ansätze, aber die umsetzung ist nie so richtig perfekt...

Track by Track: Common's Finding Forever

"The People"
Set to be Finding Forever's first single, "The People" begins with a chopped interplay between the sampled "Louder!" and "Yeah!" from Mountain's ultimate breakbeat jam "Long Red." Not long ago "Long Red" was sampled by J Dilla for De La Soul's "Verbal Clap" on The Grind Date. West said that during a meeting with Steven Spielberg. the director told him that he made the film AI in the way he imagined Stanley Kubrick would have told the story. West revealed that this inspired him to produce all his tracks on Finding Forever in the same way the recently departed Dilla would have, in tribute to him.

"Black Maybe"

Another Kanye West production, the title of this song was taken from a song by Stevie Wonder and Syretta Wright and is about the problems that come once you've grown out of the circumstances you were born into. Repeat Common collaborator Bilal provided the vocals on the hook, furthering the album's reference point of classic soul.

"I Want You"
A track of electro love soul with sonic nods to Busta Rhymes' "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See" and Audio Two's "Top Billin.'" "I write love songs, point blank and I ain't ashamed of it," said Common. Will.i.am whipped up the beat when he and Common were working on that song from the Gap commercial.

"Southside"
A shorter version of this song was released earlier this year when the Bears were in the Super Bowl. Hardly any attention is paid to hooks or catchiness, it's just bullet-spray lyrics from West and Common, who in the space of a couple lines compares himself to both James Baldwin and Kool G Rap.

"Driving Me Wild"
Featuring Lily Allen and produced by Kanye West. Our notes say something about it being "unhinged." We're not really sure what we meant.

"So Far To Go"
This one was produced by J Dilla and features D'Angelo. You should have heard it already when it was released on Dilla's posthumous album The Shining. You'd be surprised how many people at the listening session seemingly hadn't.

"Break My Heart"
Common had only recorded one verse for this storytelling piece that tracks a relationship from the initial flirtations to its end. "Breaking a girl's heart," said Common," sometimes it happens."

"The Game"
The use of Ahmad Jamal's "Swahililand" (as heard on De La Soul's "Stakes Is High") is an obvious nod to Dilla by West, but "The Game" also incorporates ’90s boom-bap hip-hop. The duo even brought in DJ Premier to scratch a chorus out of lines from OC's "Half Good, Half Sinner" : It's only right that I address this/ You gotta be in it to win it.

"Start The Show"
Slated as the album opener, the beat for "Start The Show" is much more dominating than most Common tracks, though West was sure to add some sparkle as it progresses. "Start The Show" features one of Common's patented putdowns of other rappers: "You was better as a drug dealer."

"Misunderstood"
Produced by Devo Springsteen, West's cousin and collaborator, the song is introduced by a verse and chorus from a live Nina Simone performance of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood." A cast of characters that commonly appear in Common songs find their way into the lyrics: the college girl gone wrong, the smart kid stuck on the corner, etc.

"Forever Begins"
This is going to be the last song on our album and was probably our favorite, from it's military drums to afro-soul instrumental outro. Once it was over Common kept up his tradition and asked everyone in the room what they thought the best two tracks were. The most popular picks were "The People," "The Game," "Southside," and "Forever Begins." Common said his favorites were ""The People" and "Drivin Me Wild." West abstained.

mehr Infos unter http://www.thefader.com/blog/articles/2007/04/26/track-by-track-commons-finding-forever

Klasse, wieder (fast) ausschließlich von KanYeezy und J Dilla produziert. Erwarte einen würdigen Nachfolger von Be.

Das Interview ist sehr interessant und nach allem, was ich da rausgelesen habe, geht es Commomn doch eigentlich darum, dass schwarze Männer sich auf weiße Frauen festlegen und damit die schwarzen Frauen ausschließen und herabsetzen. Einzelfälle will er ja gar nicht vorschreiben.
Entweder habe ich das nun richtig verstanden und Common hat aus irgendwelchen Gründen nicht für nötig gehalten, das ganz klar zu machen, oder ich interpretiere da was rein, weil ich ihn ungern für einen Über-Ar$ch halten will.

Gehts da noch jemandem ähnlich?

Zurück
Oben Unten