7l&Esoteric-Soul Purpose

Attaphek

Altgedient
Personnel: 7L (scratches, programming), Esoteric (rhymes).

Production: Vinyl Reanimators (2, 3, 5, 8, 11, 13, 14); 7L (4, 9, 12, 15, 17, 18); Joc Max (7); DJ Spinna (16); The ARE (19); Raw Produce (20).

1. Intro (featuring Count Bass D)

2. Verbal Assault - Esoteric loves to battle. He can damage your membrane from any angle, whether it’s off the top of the dome (he’s a very formidable freestyler) or wittily written. While this debut LP doesn’t feature mind-boggling concepts, deep metaphors, or ultra-creative themes, it packs a raw, non-conformist style to emceeing that is so often rare in this trendy music world. The “Verbal Assault” sends much measure to this, as Eso slays emcees on the raspy, high-energy/heavy vocabulary style that made him so popular in the first place. It can be said that much influence comes from Wu-Tang friend Inspectah Deck, in both his lyrical abilities and amount of vocal samples used; not to mention the Rebel INS also appears on the album’s only pre-released track. Production comes courtesy of either deejay 7L or the Vinyl Reanimators, who lace Esoteric with demonic violins, sputtering keys, spacey effects, Gotham horns, and a wide assortment of musical elements. Together, the rhymes and beats go hand in hand, making for a very entertaining alternative to the all-too conceptual and commercial, rap. “Man, that Loose Cannon can hold your toes tighter… / You couldn’t be fresh if Shay was your ghost writer.” - 4

3. Terror to Your Ear - One bonus on the boards this time out is that the production is much more diverse than the EP. This second song demonstrates that notion when packed with chiming effects, tacking drum kicks, and guitar plucks. While that’s all well and good, one cannot forget the man that holds down everything together: 7L. As important as Tone B. Nimble is to capital D, 7L scorches cuts thick and through The Soul Purpose; and aside from lending a hand to the Reanimators, he lays down six tasty treats of his own. Like “Essays on Esoterrorism,” Eso adds his own comical flair and brash attitude towards punchlines on “Terror to Your Ear,” which makes the former Rebel Alliance alumni relative to many. Or maybe it’s just the cocky Boston attitude? “I’ll make you look bad like hooded flannels, socks in sandals, and jeeps with wooden panels / Washed-up bums who really just shouldn’t gamble, and elderly cats that you couldn’t handle.” - 3.5

4. Operating Correctly (featuring Mr. Lif) – The b-side to the latest single from 7L & Esoteric features a fellow Boston native who made huge waves with last year’s Def Jux release, Enters the Colossus. And it’s not like Esoteric chose Mr. Lif because of their town spirit. The two, along with Virtuoso, spit def rhymes as the Rebel Alliance on Brick a few years back. Eso and Lif still exchange that next level galactic bravado, with production from 7L that even matches the styles of both emcees. The hypnotizing piano roll, heavy bassline, and imperial horn inserts touch the topic nicely, as the mic chemistry’ll have us begging for another Alliance record. So do it, guys. - 4

5. Call Me E.S. - The Vinyl Reanimators cook up another hot loop for Esoteric to rip on pace. This one is pure braggadocio, allowing heads to know where the tight-flowing Eso is coming from over jazzy sax waves and a hard drum roll. Hot shit. - 4

6. My Rhyme Pt. II - Interlude

7. Jealous Over Nothing - This song is straight wrong. Over a blazing Joc Max track with sweet flute sounds, Fat Boys samples, and the hoppy keys that Spinna made so popular, Esoteric shuns his ex-girlfriend by describing how great his latest female is. And for those in tuned on the “Jaded” edge, I’m sure you know what cover girl he’s referring to. “The girl’s no slut, but I was ****ing her before we broke up / So don’t get all choked up.” You never know what you have ‘til it’s all said and gone, girl. Actually wait…read the title. - 4.5

8. Chain Reaction (featuring Vinnie Paz) – The most violent emcee on wax, and perhaps in person, joins fellow Army of the Pharaohs partner in a war among words. Guest rapper Vinnie Paz (a.k.a. Ikon the Verbal Hologram) spits some rugged shit over a standard piano track from the Reanimators. Esoteric then tops the Jedi Mind Tricks frontman, but the production is simply too plain to throw this song up there with past efforts (where is Stoupe?). Disappointing, yet worth a listen or two. - 3

9. Think Back - Over a melancholy piano loop from 7L, Esoteric spits an autobiographical narrative of growing up through the Boston hip-hop system. From Ed O.G. holding it down to the new era of underground emcees, “Think Back” will be a favorite among hip-hoppers quite some time. 7L even cuts up vocal samples that blend with the topic on one of hip-hop’s hottest spots. You don’t have to hail from Massachusetts to enjoy this. - 4

10. Interlude – Terra What?

11. Mic Mastery - On the latest single, the Esoterradactyl shreds yet another apocalyptic Vinyl Reanimators project. The swaying violins and fierce piano breaks will remind you of a Marvel warzone, while an insurmountable energy from the mic is mastered. Beantown battle-slinging at its finest… - 4

12. Public Execution (featuring Reks & Apathy) – 7L’s back on the fader and the boards, this time presenting a glass-shattering bassline and evolving stream of keys. On the vocals, a tight lyrical Reks (Skitzofreniks affiliate) and a fellow Demigod member of Esoteric’s, Apathy, join in on the wack emcee bashing. The New England trio indeed brings the heat, especially Apathetic’s abominable flows; so despite the mixing being a bit questionable, “Public Execution” stands as one of the album’s highlights thus far. - 4

13. You Know the Concept - “Esoteric’s on a murder spree.. / And your defenseless, like mall security…” The flip-flop of tracks continues as the Vinyl Reanimators deliver another spacey highlight of horn snippets and heavy drums for Eso to coast over. This one’s from ’99, sounding a bit outdated on the vocal tip, but the charismatic delivery is worth peeping out: “He’ll probably be a herb forever / Talkin’ about contractions, but can’t put two words together... / I rip emcees for victories while ya fellas’ bent / Playa-hatin’ from the sidelines like Pervis Ellison.” 7L once again provides the goods on the Planet Asia-influenced refrain. - 3.5

14. Speaking Real Words (featuring Inspectah Deck) – Esoteric teams up with Shaolin’s Rebel INS for the verbal-slaying pre-released EP title track. Inspectah Deck’s influence is heavily shown over the fluid V.R. product, as 7L cuts up recent Inspectah samples and partner Esoteric spits an energetic, Deck-like delivery. Heck, even if INS himself doesn’t come off as tight as he can, “Speaking Real Words” is questionably better than most material on his LP from ‘99. “I take ya hypeman and beat ‘em with the mic stand.” - 3.5

15. First Letter - Interlude

16. The Soul Purpose - The Jigmastas’ DJ Spinna brings along his melodic sounds and bangin’ beats for 7L & Esoteric’s theme song. The title-track contains xylophone loops that ring in and out while E.S. gives you the memo on the purpose of this hip-hop shit: “You can’t buy a mic at a quarter o’ two and be a real emcee before the day is through / Rap today is a circus, underground is surface / Know why you doing this kid — the Soul Purpose.” I’m really feeling these little instrumentals that close some of the tracks. - 4.5

17. Rep the Hardest (featuring Karma) – God Complex reacquainted? For one more track, at least. Brick’s cover artist, Karma, rejoins his former mates in a hard violin-laced representation of the squadron. Right about now the battle raps and boom bap tracks are becoming abundant, but it’s a pure fact that this album contains nothing wack. - 3.5

18. Play It Cool - Ahhh…7L does it again. He flips the script, programming hype horn and piano loops, (of course) alongside hitting drum kicks. This two-minute gem serves the type of hip-hop that hasn’t been delivered in 10-years, meaning the Special Ed/Masta Ace type of chill braggadocio and free-flowing attitude (i.e. “I’m the type of cat to hit a funeral an hour late, carrying the same flowers from the wake…”, etc.). It doesn’t break any new ground — so pump it in your trunk, kid. - 4

19. Guest List - You asked for it, you got it. Esoteric hits heads with a concept. “Guest List” deals with the B.S. before getting inside the club, and all the episodes that transpire afterwards. With Texas native Russel “The ARE” Gonzales laying down a brass-tuned track that would even make Alchemist jealous, Eso uses bright storytelling and humorous imagery to detail his adventure at, perhaps, The Roxy? It’s surprisingly well done, considering he’s not the theme-type of emcee, and you can bet 7L compliments on the wheels. “See, I could be a dyke on a pedal bike, rocking metal spikes, multicolored dreadlocks and leopard tights / A college cat with a white hat and chrome shoes who still thinks Abercrombie’s the big news / I could be a muscle head, I could be a raver / I could run around Lansdowne with my pants down on E, and still get in this club for free / But since I emcee, you front endlessly (You got a college I.D.?)…” - 4.5

20. State of the Art (featuring Akrobatik, Cadence, and Checkmark) – The classic Boston posse cut from DJ Revolution’s R2K, Version 1.0. Over a mystifying Raw Produce soundscape, Eso, Akro, the Skitz’ Checkmark, and Cadence whiplash everyone fronting on the “State of the Art”: “And I’m comin’ outta left field like Mike Greenwell.”…hah. - 4.5

Song Rating – 4
Rhymes – 3.5 (closer to 3.75)
Beats – 4
Originality – 3.5

Overall Rating – 4 mics

Leveling off the underground and somewhat mainstream success of their debut EP, Speaking Real Words, 7L & Esoteric finally deliver their long awaited full-length opus, The Soul Purpose. Why in fact do the two Boston Caucasians rep like they do? Simply, for the love of the artform. In an interview slated by Underground Magazine, Esoteric claims that with hip-hop losing its steering power, this dynamic duo is only about to boost it with what they know. That knowledge is the edgy sound of the late 80’s—blacktop beats and battle lyrics. This new era of independent hip-hop calls for a little more than that technically, which doesn’t seem fair for some, but if anyone can apply their skills without copping out artistically, it’s deejay 7L and emcee Esoteric. And with that said, comes arguably the finest Boston-bread hip-hop album since Ed O.G.’s 1991 classic, Life of a Kid in the Ghetto. Look out L.A., cause these Beantown badboys are buzzing the scene with a soul purpose.

DIESE REVIEW IST NICHT VON MIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOOSE_CANNON!!!!!! HAT ES VERFASST UND ICH MÖCHTE IHM DAFÜR DANKEN!!

ausserdem finde ich das er die platte unterbewertet hat!!!

wo finde ich das Album, ich hab schon ein paar tracks auf der Festplatte und die sind eigentlich ziemlich gut. Ich hab bei rap und bei rapz.de nachgeschaut und da war es im keinem shop zu finden. Also wo gibts das Teil auf cd zu finden???

ursprünglich geschrieben von giannimc
leider kommt die lp erst am 7.10. 2001 raus!

was ist das denn fütr ne verarsching? wie lange kann man denn noch auf eine lp warten??
Peace, MTK

ja das stimmt und die größte frechheit is das der loose cannon!!!!!!! die lp schon hat!

man, ich wette die lp kommt erst in 2002 raus!! das stresst voll, weil ich so ein review nicht mal brauche um zu wissen das diese lp geil ist!
Peace, MTK

[das stresst voll, weil ich so ein review nicht mal brauche um zu wissen das diese lp geil ist!
Peace, MTK [/B][/QUOTE]

aso is das da will man eine freude machen und dann ist diese ungewollt!:(:(

Nein ich glaub das die am 7 10. rauskommt!!!!!!

ursprünglich geschrieben von giannimc
[das stresst voll, weil ich so ein review nicht mal brauche um zu wissen das diese lp geil ist!
Peace, MTK

aso is das da will man eine freude machen und dann ist diese ungewollt!:(:(

Nein ich glaub das die am 7 10. rauskommt!!!!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

so meinte ich das doch gar nicht man hehe ich meinte nur mir ist klar das die lp geil ist, deswegen soll sie jetzt endlich mal rauskommen! danke fürs review, ist ja nicht das die scheiße ist, im gegenteil, tracks sind gut analysiert.
7.10 ist noich ne lange zeit...
Peace, MTK

war auch nur :D MTK!!

Bald soll oder wird eine Virtuoso lp rauskommen!juhu!!!!
ansonsten is eine neue 7l&esoteric 12" draussen die die tracks c.s und the soul purpose enthält!

versuch das niveau oben zu halten!!

nein eben nicht. Ich komm nicht dazu bin voll beschäftigt. Übrigens, ist lange her das du hier letztesmal warst hehe
aber die soundclips gefallen mir schon. Klingt aber nicht sehr abwechselungsreich das album
Peace, MTK

ich bins ja!
ich konnt mich nur nicht als gianni einloggen!

ich hab jetzt die meisten lieder bei audiogalaxy runter geladen und musss sagen das es beat mässig echt verdammt gut is!lyrisch auch cool!

ich werd einfach mal morgen danach suchen wenn ich zeit hab. Es ist auch keinesfalls schlecht, das kann nicht sein.
Peace, MTK

und wo bekomm ichs??? die tracks die ich auf meiner Platte sind schon sehr sehr fett.

das dürfte doch in dt. kein problem sein!!

schau mal bei rap.de oder grooveattack.com

Das Album ist wie gesagt in den Staaten schon draußen! Hier solls wohl so in den nächsten 1-2 Wochen auch endlich erscheinen! Kanns auch schon kaum erwarten, scheint ja echt kein Durchhänger drauf zu sein.....:)

*pies*

Back
Top Bottom