Bushido Bericht in der New York Times

blade_surfer

am Start
Germany's Rap Music Veers Toward the Violent

Hier ist ein Artikel den die New York Times am 09. August 2005 gedruckt hat. Interessant ist z.b. wie der Zusammenhang Neo-Nazis - deutscher Gangster Rap dargestellt wird. Ziehts euch rein wenn ihrs noch nicht kennt.

BERLIN, Aug. 8 - Germany's most controversial rapper has five tattoos, stomach-churning lyrics, impressive record sales and, somewhat improbably, admirers among both immigrants and the neo-Nazi skinheads who rail against them.

He is also exceedingly polite and quick to refill a guest's glass of water, and he occasionally goes grocery shopping for his mom, with whom he shared an apartment until three months ago.

"In reality I'm a relaxed guy who likes to chill, who's funny and who's seen some stuff," said Bushido, 26, the son a German woman and a Tunisian man, whose real name is Anis Ferchichi. "But these people make me out to be the Devil."

In the past half year, Bushido and other gangsta rappers, largely from Germany's immigrant communities, have landed on a media watch list normally populated by right-wing neo-Nazi bands. They have attracted the wrath of politicians along with a following of hundreds of thousands of German youths mesmerized by their rhymes about dangerous neighborhoods, stab wounds and groupie sex.

A good 15 years after the music genre spread from the streets of American cities to tough neighborhoods from Rio de Janeiro to Marseilles, gangsta rap has hit it big in Germany, where tamer rap has been popular for years. Riding on the coattails of American rappers like 50 Cent and Eminem, German gangsta rappers have made a strong showing on the charts - where Bushido's last two albums have made their debuts in the Top 6 - and shaken a society not used to hearing ghetto tales of death and revenge in its own language.

German parents and the news media have expressed shock at hardcore lyrics, which, they say, glorify a dangerous American ghetto fantasy that doesn't exist in Germany and shouldn't be encouraged.

In response, the Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons, an agency set up in 1954 in the sensitive era of post-Nazi reconstruction, has expanded its mandate to rap after spending most of the past two decades monitoring neo-Nazi music. Four rap titles have been added in the last year, joining seven others recently added to the more than 450 songs or albums the department has put on its list since the 1980's. Inclusion is more serious than an explicit lyrics sticker on a CD cover. It means that the offending album can't be advertised and stores can't sell it to anyone younger than 18.

"We put them on the list for many different reasons, but mainly because they discriminate against women, who are typically labeled prostitutes and hookers, and they advocate violence," said Elke Monssen-Engberding, director of the department.

The list features songs by radical right-wing bands like Aryan Duo and Reichsfront, offering song titles like "White and Full of Hate" and lyrics that glorify violence against immigrants. The fact that such bands are increasingly sharing space with people they spent most of their time railing against might seem strange. But to Ms. Monssen-Engberding, the threat from the two seemingly disparate groups is similar.

"The right-wing musicians are promoting an ideology, the rappers aren't promoting ideology; it's a type of dialogue," she said. "But it doesn't make it less dangerous."

In fact, there is some evidence that neo-Nazis relish the aggressive lyrics and image promoted by Berlin's gangsta rappers. Hannes Loh, an author of the book "Fear of a Kanak Planet: Hip-Hop Between World Culture and Nazi Rap," said some right-wing skinheads are abandoning jackboots and bomber jackets for the baggy pants and sneakers of the rap scene.

"We don't want to overexaggerate but it has become clear that it is moving in that direction," Mr. Loh said. "It's very contradictory, and very hard to understand."

Including for the rappers themselves. Bushido says skinheads cheered him at a concert he recently gave in the East German city of Chemnitz. After the show, they came up to congratulate him and ask for autographs.

"There is no trying to understand Nazis, but what are you going to do?" he said. "Are you going to ban them, put them in jail so that they hate you even more? If that guy is cool with me during the hour in which I'm giving my concert and respects the other people, then I think I've done a good job."

But it isn't the fact that he has some right-wing fans that has landed three of Bushido's five albums on the watch list. It's songs like "Gangbang" and "Dreckstück," in which women are portrayed as objects to abuse and humiliate, with lyrics like, "Just because you're a woman doesn't mean I won't beat you until you're blue."

His 2001 album "King of Kingz," which he produced in his mother's apartment, was put on the list in May. His most recent releases, "Electro Ghetto" and "Vom Bordstein bis zur Skyline" ("From the Pavement to the Skyline"), are also slated for listing.

"It's as dangerous to advocate violence against women as it is violence against immigrants," Ms. Monssen-Engberding said.

But that hasn't hurt Bushido's popularity among young people. "Electro Ghetto" made its debut at No. 6 last year on the German charts and is set to cross the 100,000 sales barrier needed in Germany to be certified gold. His most recent album made its first chart appearance at No. 3 and has already sold more than 50,000 copies, according to his agents at Universal Music.

Kaan Mueller, 16, who was attending a recent rap and dance open mike night at a community center in Kreuzberg, said he liked the music "because, sometimes, you need something aggressive and hard like that just to let out your feelings."

Around him, a multicultural mix of teenagers were cheering and whooping as group after group got onstage, some mimicking poses of their gangsta rap heroes as they rhymed unintelligible lyrics over a bad sound system. There were plenty of jerseys and baseball caps worn off center in imitation of American rap stars.

"I listen because I understand German hip-hop far better," said Mr. Mueller, a baseball cap tipped upwards from a face splashed with acne. "The Americans might do it better, but I don't know what they're saying."

The genre, though, is more popular with males than females. Monika Hetzer, 19, who helped organize the open mike night, said the new rappers were bad news.

"I think it's good that they put them on the list," she said. "I just got called a slut on my way in here by a little boy. Kids have gotten more and more aggressive. It's no surprise, given what you hear on the radio."

German rap has traditionally ceded ground to imports from across the Atlantic. Though some German hip-hop groups found success in the 1990's, German, unlike French and English, is not a language that accommodates the genre, say some artists.

The language features many combination words with an avalanche of syllables that don't rhyme well together, Bushido said. That impairs a rapper's ability to let loose a smooth and creative flow. That, combined with inferior production quality and beats, kept young people listening to rap imports, said Eric Remberg, the head of label Aggro Berlin, who prefers to go by the monicker Specter.

German rap's newfound success is partly a result of improved production quality and better lyrics, and partly a realization that Germany has its own problem neighborhoods, where failed integration and social hardship are part of the daily struggle, Specter said.

"I think Germany has reached the point that rap once was in the U.S.A., where it was attacked because people couldn't believe something like the gangsta life existed," said Specter, who since founding the label in the basement of a former brothel in 2001 has built it into one of the country's most notorious. "It was just ignored. People said. 'These conditions don't exist in our country.' "

Though Berlin might not have a Bedford-Stuyvesant or a South Central, he said, it has enough tough neighborhoods to provide material to the social misfits and immigrants who gathered in dark Berlin basements for freestyle battles in the late 1990's. A scene that started in the immigrant community in the 1980's quickly grew to include German youths from tough neighborhoods and children of mixed parentage.

Now that the songs they initially wrote to provoke their peers are reaching a larger audience and reaping criticism, rappers like Bushido are starting to tweak their style and tone it down. The new album he is recording in Austria is much more introspective, he said. In one song he portrays himself as an angel watching over a girl who has abusive parents. In another, he regrets missed chances with a girlfriend who has had an accident.

But other songs revert to the genre's typical form, with women getting much worse.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/09/a...&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=print

Ich finde deutscher Rap wird da schon ein wenig fragwürdig dargestellt...was denkt ihr? Gabs schon nen thread zu dem thema? Ich denke nicht...

is auf jeden n krasser artikel! und das macht deutschen rap in meinen augen schlecht in den USA....

und wenn ich lese...
There were plenty of jerseys and baseball caps worn off center in imitation of American rap stars.

"I listen because I understand German hip-hop far better," said Mr. Mueller, a baseball cap tipped upwards from a face splashed with acne. "The Americans might do it better, but I don't know what they're saying."
...dann krieg ich irgendwie zuviel! das is wieder son scheiß klischee, auf das sich da beschränk wird! und dieses bushido-gangsta-kacke is auch nur eine von vielen facetten im deutschen rap! und an solchen leuten, mit denen ich persönlich gar nix anfangen kann, die ganze deutsche "szene" auszumachen find ich übertrieben und völlig schwachsinnig!

aber auch diese nazi-vergleiche! also kein plan! das is totaler müll! kapier nich, wie man da vom einen auf das andere schließen kann!

peace

I listen because I understand German hip-hop far better," said Mr. Mueller, a baseball cap tipped upwards from a face splashed with acne.

hrhrhrhr.... mr mueller...... a face splashed up with acne..... oh mann was haben die da denn befragt? :D

Original geschrieben von efkay1

oh mann was haben die da denn befragt? :D

das is echt auch so ne sache! es kommt immer drauf an, was für leute man fragt! die haben da welche beragt, bei ner open mic session in kreuzberg oder so! und daraus bilden die sich dann ne meinung, obwohl das in keinster weise representativ sein kann!

Original geschrieben von ZimmyHendrix
is auf jeden n krasser artikel! und das macht deutschen rap in meinen augen schlecht in den USA....

und wenn ich lese...

...dann krieg ich irgendwie zuviel! das is wieder son scheiß klischee, auf das sich da beschränk wird! und dieses bushido-gangsta-kacke is auch nur eine von vielen facetten im deutschen rap! und an solchen leuten, mit denen ich persönlich gar nix anfangen kann, die ganze deutsche "szene" auszumachen find ich übertrieben und völlig schwachsinnig!

peace
Verdammt du sagst es!
Ich finds aber irgendwie lustig dass sie hier nur bushido als sagen wir mal "nazifreund" darstellen oder hab ich das falsch verstanden??
Schon schwierig son ganzer Artikel auf englisch.
Naja hiphop wird halt gerne auf klischees beschränkt traurig aber wahr
peace

da gabs schon mehrere threads drüber als es aktuell war, wurde aber immer geschlossen...

und wenn ich lese...

aber auch diese nazi-vergleiche! also kein plan! das is totaler müll! kapier nich, wie man da vom einen auf das andere schließen kann!

peace

Ja ich bin voll deiner meinung...! Ich höre echt gerne deutsche sachen, auch bushido und konsorten, just for fun, aber ich höre die weil ich lust drauf habe, und nicht weil ich kein englisch kann...

Echt dieser eine typ ders nur hört weil ers versteht is echt dämlich...als ob wir alle kein englisch könnten...

sowas ähnliches meinte doch auch fler, als er meinte "blablabla amirap weil man kein wort versteht" und dann "blabla alle lieben mich weil mans sofort versteht", ne? fler-kenner können mich an dieser stelle korrigieren...

ich höre deutschrap in erster linie weil mein english zu schlecht ist. und ich hab english abitur gemacht.. also von dem her..

Original geschrieben von efkay1

hrhrhrhr.... mr mueller...... a face splashed up with acne..... oh mann was haben die da denn befragt? :D

ohne witz, hört sich an wie ne verarschung.. alles so typisch und vorurteil und ach..

Original geschrieben von Chefkoch Fresh
ich höre deutschrap in erster linie weil mein english zu schlecht ist. und ich hab english abitur gemacht.. also von dem her..
horst?

Original geschrieben von Ohaa

ohne witz, hört sich an wie ne verarschung.. alles so typisch und vorurteil und ach..

horst?

nein, günther... :oops: :rolleyes:

mal im ernst wer vorgibt alles zu verstehen verarscht sich doch selber... aba dafür immer kräftig real sein, oda :rolleyes:

Original geschrieben von Chefkoch Fresh

wie du hast "english abítur gemacht"? Englisch als abifach? auch wenns kein LK war solltest du es gut genug können...
oder meinst du, du hast englisches abitur (a-levels) gemacht und kannst immernoch kein englisch? :rolleyes:

würd gern ma wissen wieviel leute deutschrap aus irgendwelchen gründen hören und wieviel es notgedrungen wegen sprachproblemen hören...naja...:confused:

also ich spreche sehr gut englisch aber das hat eher mit meinem werdegang als mit dem deutschen schulsystem zu tun...

greets

Na ja, ich hab noch kein Abi aber english LK und seit jahren hab ich in englisch immer ne 1 oder 2 gehabt ohne dafür zu lernen.
kurz gesagt ich kann sehr gut englisch aber trotzdem isses doch vom verstöndniss ein unterschied ob ich deutschen oder englischen rap höre.
Beim englischen muss man halt wirklich aufmerksam zu hören und grade bildliche Sparche kann ich nich immer verstehn

und wenn ich lese...

peace

stimmt, aber nich ernst nehmen, die amis haben eh kein' plan:oops:

Original geschrieben von MeisterTommy
Na ja, ich hab noch kein Abi aber english LK und seit jahren hab ich in englisch immer ne 1 oder 2 gehabt ohne dafür zu lernen.
kurz gesagt ich kann sehr gut englisch aber trotzdem isses doch vom verstöndniss ein unterschied ob ich deutschen oder englischen rap höre.
Beim englischen muss man halt wirklich aufmerksam zu hören und grade bildliche Sparche kann ich nich immer verstehn

schön gesagt, genau das meine ich damit

Zurück
Oben Unten