Huss & Hodn aka. Retrogott & Hulk Hodn

ich meine mich dunkel zu erinnern, Retrogott auch in Interview mal über Edgar sprechen gehört zu haben (er meinte übrigens, daß der biter-Vorwurf Unsinn sei).

bei tufu versteh ichs irgendwo dass man ihn mit kurt vergleicht, aber edgar ist vom stil und flow doch weit entfernt.

Ich habe hier ein paar Schallplatten zu verkaufen.

Huss und Hodn - Jetzt schämst du dich! instrumentals

Sylabil Spill feat. Retrogott / Stef der Crashtest - Schaumstoffgegner / Einer für Alle 7'

Huss und Hodn / O-Flow - Schrecklichertraum / Köln Süd 7'

Bei Interesse -> Private Nachricht

bei tufu versteh ichs irgendwo dass man ihn mit kurt vergleicht, aber edgar ist vom stil und flow doch weit entfernt.

Naja, eigentlich nicht wirklich. Tufu's Beats sind viel düsterer, und vom Style her ist das eigentlich auch nur ne minimale Überschneidung.

Ist nur, weil so lange keiner BoomBap-Sound aufm Schirm hatte, und dann gleich mehrere Leute damit ankamen :D

Naja, eigentlich nicht wirklich. Tufu's Beats sind viel düsterer, und vom Style her ist das eigentlich auch nur ne minimale Überschneidung.

Ist nur, weil so lange keiner BoomBap-Sound aufm Schirm hatte, und dann gleich mehrere Leute damit ankamen :D

Weil diese Boom-Bap-Leute, wie man es grade an Tufu besonders schön hören kann, wenn man mal seine älteren Sachen mit dem Kram ab ´10 vergleicht, alle ein bissl zu ernst, weinerlich und hängengeblieben geklungen haben, bis Huss & Hodn gezeigt haben, dass das alles viel lässiger kommt, wenn man zwischendurch mal ein nonchalantes "Du *****sohn" einstreut.

Also Tufu fand ich ab die Symbolik des Mastschweins fresh, kein Plan ob der vorher was gutes gemacht hat.

Also Tufu fand ich ab die Symbolik des Mastschweins fresh, kein Plan ob der vorher was gutes gemacht hat.

Selbst da drauf hat man n bißchen das Gefühl, dass der während der Produktion so grade die Kurve gekriegt hab. Vor allem in der ersten Hälfte kommen die doch recht typischen Boom-Bap-Themen ("Scheiß Mainstream/Ihr seht alle gleich aus/Ich bin wenigstens real und ehrlich und ein Unikat/Liebe für die Musik etc." noch ziemlich ironiefrei und eben auch leicht weinerlich rüber. Find ich jetzt.

Das stimmt schon irgendwo, ich fands aber trotzdem gut, weil ers extrem gut formuliert hat

Nein, ich habe leider keine Release-Infos für euch :D ..
Aber ich habe für a///////////e Freestyle-Fans ein feines Freestyle-Video vom (nicht) Freestyle-Gott :p ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Nein, ich habe leider keine Release-Infos für euch :D ..
Aber ich habe für a///////////e Freestyle-Fans ein feines Freestyle-Video vom (nicht) Freestyle-Gott :p ..

voll der Freestyle. Hab mir nur die erste halb min angeschaut aber gilt es heute schon als Freestyle wenn man seine alten Texte außerhalb des Studios rappt?

das gilt schon seit urzeiten als freestyle. dieses andere gestammel will doch keiner hören.

Big Daddy Kane: Okay… what do you mean by "freestyle"?

How to Rap: Improvised, rather than written down on paper…

Big Daddy Kane: I always wrote things down on paper… but see that term "freestyle" is like a new term, because in the ‘80s when we said we wrote a freestyle rap that meant that it was a rhyme that you wrote that was free of style, meaning that it’s not a subject matter – it’s not a story about a woman, it’s not a story about poverty, it’s basically a rhyme just bragging about yourself, so it’s basically free of style. That’s really what a freestyle is.

You know, off the top of the head, we just called that off the dome, when you don’t write it and just say whatever comes to mind. But freestyle is really a written rhyme. Has anybody ever told you that before?

How to Rap: Yeah, though people often also use the other definition of it…

Big Daddy Kane: Yeah, that’s like some new term, but really a freestyle is a rhyme that you write basically that’s free of style.

How to Rap: So you always wrote everything down?

Big Daddy Kane: Yeah, I mean when we went off the top of the head that’d be something that we’d do just playing around like on the corner, just playing to see who mess up first.

Advertisement

Home > Features > Interviews > Big Daddy Kane: Rap Like No Equal
Big Daddy Kane: Rap Like No Equal

by .

posted September 20, 2010 10:20:00 AM CDT | 29 comments

Tweet

Big Daddy Kane: Rap Like No Equal

Author Paul Edwards sat down with one of Hip Hop's most respected emcees to discuss his influences, writing process, and an inside look at how to rap like Kane.

Big Daddy Kane was one of the 104 emcees interviewed exclusively for the book How to Rap: The Art and Science of the Hip-Hop MC. The following is the full, previously unreleased interview.

As well as breaking down his process, Big Daddy Kane also gives his thoughts on Notorious B.I.G., 2Pac, and why some rappers claim to write lyrics in their heads or never punch-in vocals. He also suggests how Hip Hop can get back to being more lyrical again and drops a ton of tips on performing live.

Interview by Paul Edwards

How to Rap: How did you learn how to rap?

Big Daddy Kane: It was something that I just started doing, I had an older cousin that was doing it, he was rapping. It was just something I wanted to do because I was a kid and I looked up to him, so I started just trying to write rhymes and just do what he was doing.

How to Rap: Did you memorize a lot of other people’s lyrics?

Big Daddy Kane: Yeah, I knew how to sing [The Fatback Band's] "King Tim III" and [Sugarhill Gang's] "Rapper’s Delight," you know, all that stuff.

How to Rap: Did you mainly write a lot or freestyle a lot?

Big Daddy Kane: Okay… what do you mean by "freestyle"?

How to Rap: Improvised, rather than written down on paper…

Big Daddy Kane: I always wrote things down on paper… but see that term "freestyle" is like a new term, because in the ‘80s when we said we wrote a freestyle rap that meant that it was a rhyme that you wrote that was free of style, meaning that it’s not a subject matter – it’s not a story about a woman, it’s not a story about poverty, it’s basically a rhyme just bragging about yourself, so it’s basically free of style. That’s really what a freestyle is.

You know, off the top of the head, we just called that off the dome, when you don’t write it and just say whatever comes to mind. But freestyle is really a written rhyme. Has anybody ever told you that before?

How to Rap: Yeah, though people often also use the other definition of it…

Big Daddy Kane: Yeah, that’s like some new term, but really a freestyle is a rhyme that you write basically that’s free of style.

How to Rap: So you always wrote everything down?

Big Daddy Kane: Yeah, I mean when we went off the top of the head that’d be something that we’d do just playing around like on the corner, just playing to see who mess up first.

How to Rap: Was that ever a good way of learning?

Big Daddy Kane: Not really, because to me, this here Rap thing is an art form, and with art, you paint a picture, and I mean when you look at the list of the greatest lyricists that did they thing, they wrote their rhymes.

Back
Top Bottom